Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Moratorium on Biblioblogging April Fool's Jokes

It's April 1 and once again we have a selection of April Fool's jokes on the biblioblogs. As usual, there are varying degrees of skill, wit and humour to be found. I don't know whether I am speaking just for myself here, but frankly I am finding it all a bit tiring. One or two of them raised a bit of a smile, but all of them induced that dull, "Here we go again" kind of tedium. The difficulty is not just that they are getting tired but that they detract from the scholarly nature and academic reputation of the biblioblogs. If we wish to be taken seriously by the guild, I think it's time to behave with a bit more decorum. I suspect that what we are seeing here is a symptom of a larger problem about the decline in the academic quality of the biblioblogs. I think I am inclined to use an American expression and say "Enough already!"

5 comments:

James F. McGrath said...

Very amusing, Mark! Happy April Fools Day to you, too! :)

Peter M. Head said...

Good one.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. Concerned about "the academic quality of the biblioblogs". Ha ha.

Steph

Stephen C. Carlson said...

Such a kill-joy.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I think you have to be born here to get it. It's an American tradition. It's kind of like the Royal Family. I don't get it. I mean, I appreciate costumes and celebrities, but we have Disney Land for that. We have Brad and Angelina. And if our royalty gets boring, we can replace them. But I think some of you Brits really do take this royal family business serious. Strange.